When it’s chilly outside I keep plenty of this butternut squash lightly flavored with sage stocked in my fridge. It takes minutes to prepare and the bags will keep a good month or even more in your fridge. You can serve it as a side all by itself, put it on a fall salad, toss with some barley or farrow, add it to risotto or heat it up with some chicken stock and toss in the blender for a fast weeknight soup.
For those of you who “follow me” I realize there hasn’t been much to follow recently.
Sorry I’ve been MIA lately but our kitchen currently looks like this. We are in the exciting (terrifying) process of rebuilding our home! Oh the joy of the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety, the fights between our contractor and our architect, the money draining from our bank account at a startling rate. I could go on for days, but of course you’re here for the food.
Butternut squash is pretty much at the end of the season but you can still find it in the market in some areas and for some reason Trader Joe’s never seems to run out of the stuff! Most conveniently they’ve got it already peeled and chopped into perfect cubes for you so by all means take the shortcut. I like to make things more difficult than they need to be so I instead shlep to the farmer’s market for the squash and then peel and cut myself. I also walk uphill in the snow the entire way.
I do these in large batches and so that I have a good stock on hand. It’s my daughter’s absolute favorite side and I find it incredibly versatile.
Here’s the super complicated (and by complicated I mean my 7 year old could do it) directions:
- Preheat the Sous Vide to 180. If you are serving right out of the bag and want them less firm cook at 185. I like them more firm so that they reheat well.
- Chop the peeled squash into cubes
- Put them into food saver bags
- Add 1 or 2 leaves of sage
- Add a pinch of salt
- Add a very small drizzle of olive oil
- Vacuum seal the bags
- Put in the preheated water bath.
- Pour yourself a glass of wine and watch some TV for 45 minutes to an hour
- Remove from the bath and refrigerate till ready to use